Fishcakes with homemade Tartare Sauce
We know our customers are always looking for new ideas when it comes to cooking fish. We asked our friends at Pipe and Glass for something special using Coley, Head Chef James Mackenzie, Chef/owner of the Michelin-starred Pipe and Glass, South Dalton sent us this beautiful dish.
The Pipe and Glass
The Pipe and Glass is a former coaching inn set in the glorious surroundings of the Dalton Estate. Run since 2006 by James and Kate Mackenzie, the pub and restaurant have gained an international reputation and many major awards, including a Michelin star (held since 2010).
COLEY FISHCAKES WITH HOMEMADE TARTARE SAUCE
Makes 8 Fishcakes
For the Fishcakes
- 500g Coley Fillets (Or any white fish)
- 500g Maris Piper Potatoes
- Rapeseed Oil
- ½ White Onion, Finely Chopped
- 200ml White Wine
- ½ Lemon
- 2 Tbsps. Chopped Dill
- ½ Bunch of Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 Tsp Mild Curry Powder
- White Breadcrumbs
- 100g Plain Flour
- 4 Eggs
For the Tartare Sauce
- 10 Cornichons
- 2 Tbsp. Capers
- Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
- 6 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
- Juice Of ½ Lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ gas mark 4.
- To make the fishcakes, bake the potatoes in the oven at 180C/ gas mark 4, for about an hour until soft. Scrape out all of the potato from the skins and lightly mash up.
- Poach the fish gently in some seasoned milk, then leave in the milk to cool slightly. Remove into a sieve or colander to drain.
- Place the fish and potato into a large mixing bowl. Put the onion into a saucepan with the white wine, zest and juice of ½ a lemon, and then cook for 20 minutes over a low heat, or until all the liquid has been soaked up. If it needs longer increase the heat until the mixture is dry. Then cool and add into the mixing bowl with the fish and potatoes. Add a handful of breadcrumbs, the dill, curry powder and a generous amount of parsley.
- Mould the fishcakes and chill in the fridge. When cool pass through the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs. These can be kept in the fridge until needed.
- To make the tartare sauce, roughly chop the cornichons and capers. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Season with a little salt to taste.
- Shallow fry the fishcakes in rapeseed oil until golden on each side. Place in the oven at 180C until heated through.
- Serve with the homemade tartare sauce and mixed salad leaves.
This dish could be made with Coley, Cod or Salmon.